The privacy of your personal information has always been important to us at EFC Financial Services Pty Ltd. In addition to complying with existing laws that govern confidential information that you provide to us, we are also required to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles. We will always seek to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles as well as other applicable laws affecting your personal information.
How we manage your personal information
Consultum Financial Advisers Pty Ltd – GPO Box 264 Melbourne, VIC 3001.
Collecting and using your personal information
We will collect and use your personal information (which may, if authorised and required, include your sensitive information, such as health information) for a variety of purposes, including to provide you with the financial services you have requested (including answering your requests and complaints, varying products and services and managing your relevant product portfolios) and to contact you about other products and services that may be relevant to you. We may also collect personal information in order to prevent or investigate any fraud or crime, or any suspected fraud or crime.
We’ll collect your personal information from you directly whenever we can. Sometimes we collect your personal information from other sources or third parties such as your accountant, or other reliable identity verification service providers. We do this only if it’s necessary to do so, for example where:
- we need information from an insurer about an insurance application you make through us;
- at your request, we exchange information with your legal or financial advisers or other representatives.
If we collect information that can be used to identify you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you of that collection.
We may collect information about you because we are required or authorised by law to collect it. There are laws that affect financial institutions, including company and tax law, which require us to collect personal information. For example, we require personal information to verify your identity under Commonwealth Anti-Money Laundering law.
What happens if you don’t provide your information to us?
If you choose not to provide your information to us, we may not be able to:
- provide you with the product or service you want;
- manage or administer your product or service;
- verify your identity or protect against fraud; or
- let you know about other products or services that might better meet your financial and lifestyle needs.
Protecting your privacy
Protecting your privacy is essential to our business. Your file, containing your profile, personal objectives, financial circumstances and our recommendations, is kept securely.
Disclosing your personal information
We may share your personal information (which may, if authorised and required, include your sensitive information, such as health information) with third parties for the purposes for which we are authorised to use your information.
This may include to the following types of third parties:
- those involved in providing, managing or administering the products or services you have requested, including other advisers, paraplanners and organisations who work with us, including Consultum and other members of the IOOF Group, depending on the financial services and products you have requested;
- insurance providers, superannuation trustees and product providers related to the financial services you have requested;
- professional associations and organisations that help us operate our business, such as those that provide administrative, financial, accounting, insurance, research, legal, strategic advice, auditing, computer or other business services, including our Licensee Consultum and other members of the IOOF Group;
- your representatives, service providers, or other organisations, such as your accountant, solicitor, tax agent, stockbroker or bank;
- organisations involved in a business restructure or a transfer of all or part of the assets of our business; and
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations when required or authorised by law (in some instances these bodies may share it with relevant foreign authorities)
- where you have given your consent.
We run our business in Australia. In order to provide you with our services however, we may share your information with organisations outside Australia. Any overseas disclosure does not affect our commitment to safeguarding your personal information and we will take reasonable steps to ensure any overseas recipient complies with Australian privacy laws.
Consultum and other members of the IOOF Group may contact you from time to time on an ongoing basis about suitable products and services via the contact details you have provided. We may continue to contact you for these reasons until you withdraw your consent. You can do this at any time by contacting us (see the ‘Contact us’ section of this FSG). We will process your request as soon as practicable.
Accessing or correcting your personal information
Our complaints procedure
If you’re unhappy with the advice you receive, or other aspects of our service please follow the steps outlined below.
1 Please let your financial adviser know in the first instance. You can also raise your complaint at any time by contacting us at:
IOOF Advice Complaints
Consultum Financial Advisers Pty Ltd – Level 3, 30 Hickson Road, Millers Point NSW 2000
Phone: 1800 271 147
2 If your complaint isn’t resolved within 30 days or to your satisfaction, then you may refer the matter to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA):
Telephone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
In writing to: Australian Financial Complaints Authority Limited – GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001
AFCA provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that’s free to consumers.
Time limits may apply to lodge a complaint with AFCA, so you should act promptly. You can check the AFCA website to find out if a time limit applies or when the time limit relevant to your circumstances expires.
Consultum holds professional indemnity insurance that satisfies the requirements of section 912B of the Corporations Act. This insurance also covers the conduct of our advisers who were authorised by Consultum at the time of providing the advice but are no longer authorised representatives of Consultum at the time of your complaint.
For more information about your privacy, you can also visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au
Contacting Us and Privacy Issues
You can obtain further information on request about the way in which we manage the personal information that we hold or you can raise any privacy issues with us, including a complaint about privacy, by contacting us on (08) 8272 6833. We are committed to resolving your complaint.
EFC Financial Services Pty Ltd and Richard Koral
are Authorised Representatives of Consultum Financial Advisers Pty Ltd
ABN 65 006 373 995
Australian Financial Services Licensee No: 230323
Registered Office: Level 6, 161 Collins Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Last updated: Monday, 14th October 2021